Click on CC to activate the subtitles
Click on the button above to activate the page reader
This groundbreaking CPD certified e-course aims to train professionals working in formal (e.g. school) and informal (e.g. in the community) educational settings on how to support young people to address and reduce social marginalisation in their communities. To this end, it combines two unique, evidence-based teaching methods. These are based on:
- The underlying values of restorative justice as well as its theory and practices.
- The El Sistema music-educational programme founded in Venezuela in 1975 by Venezuelan educator, musician, and activist José Antonio Abreu.
The e-course has five modules leading to its learning outcomes. It has been prepared by the Erasmus+ Strategic Partnership comprising of the coordinator, the RJ4All International Institute (UK), and partners (Center for Social Innovation, Afridat, Carmen Sylva” Art College, Abbey College, Manisa Ozel Egitim Uygulama Okulu III. Kademe, Asociación Caminos). The course convener is Prof. Theo Gavrielides.
Certification & Accessibility
Successful completion will lead to CPD (Continuous Professional Development) Certification (12 points). The e-course can be paused as many times as needed. It takes approximately 12 non-stop hours to fully complete all modules and take the CPD test. Additional reading materials are also provided for optional further learning and research.
The e-course includes software that make it accessible in various languages as well as for those with visual and hearing impairments. This course interactive tools are based on H5P. To learn more; overview of the accessibility of the various H5P content types.
- Professionals (including volunteers) working in formal and informal educational settings
- Musicians and music teachers
- Restorative justice practitioners
- Social inclusion and human rights organisations and professionals
- Migrant and asylum seeking organisations in all sectors
- Public sector professionals working on issues of marginalisation and exclusion
- Policy makers and researchers in the areas of restorative justice, music and social integration.
By the end of the e-course, the following learning outcomes should have been achieved:
- Introductory understanding of restorative justice, its underlying values as well as its practices; how these are used to achieve social cohesion and address anti-social behaviour that leads to marginalisation.
- Elementary understanding of Contact Theory and the Theories of Social Change; how these relate to social cohesion, music education and this training programme.
- Good understanding of the El Sistema philosophy including awareness of its origins and successes.
- Being able to understand and use the El Sistema music learning method including using a guide to alternative musical instrument instruction and the theory on leading and participating in an interactive and inclusive orchestra.
- Knowledge about the Maastricht Global Education Declaration and how music education activities that are founded on the principles of restorative justice and Global Education can be used to achieve social cohesion.
- Knowledge about best practices of effective teaching methods. Emphasis is placed on the additional challenges that a teacher/trainer may face when teaching student populations that have experienced traumas related to war, forced or voluntary migration, and social marginalisation.
- Knowledge and awareness of leadership with a specific focus on the necessary dimension of ethical leadership in the effort to promote inter-culturalism and social equity.
Grant Agreement N: 2020-1-UK01-KA201-078840
The European Commission support for the production of this publication does not constitute an endorsement of the contents which reflects the views only of the authors, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.
- Lectures 32
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 10 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 9
- Certificate No
- Assessments Self
Pre evaluation questionnaire
Module 2: El Sistema
Module 3 - Music education and Restorative justice
Module 4 - Best Practices
Module 5 - Ethical Leadership
Test for Continuous Professional Development certification
Post evaluation questionnaire
RJ4All Diversity form